Monday, January 28, 2013

Personal Record

One of the best things about doing a race of a distance you have never done, is that no matter how fast or slow you do it, it's always going to be a personal record!! My first 10K? Automatically a PR :)

Getting a personal record, or PR in the running world, is exciting no matter how many races you have done. I'm training for a half marathon, but I was still super excited that I got a PR at a 5K on Saturday!!

PR at the Naples Humane Society Run for the Paws

It's kind of like getting the prize at the bottom of the cereal box when you were a kid. You know it's sitting there in the bottom of the box, but you have to eat the majority of the cereal inside before you can get to it (if you had a Mom like mine that wouldn't let you dig into the cereal to get to it as soon as you opened the box). Your PR is the same way. You can visualize it and hope for it, but it's just plain gonna take time to get there. 

When I moved to Florida in June, just the change in humidity added almost a minute and a half per mile to my average pace. It has taken me 7 months to get back to where I was and on my way to getting a PR. It was a lot of work and some serious dedication to actually put on my running shoes after work and run 4 days a week. However, the feeling you get when you cross the finish line and see the best time you have ever seen on the clock, makes the last 7 months MORE than worth it! 

It doesn't happen overnight, but if you put in the effort the rewards will be great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment