Sunday, March 2, 2014

Injuries and Illness - The Mental Game

Well, with any training, there is always the risk of injury. Thankfully, mine is small, but was a big setback. Broke my toe in the middle of the homestretch for Shamrock Marathon Training. I had MRSA when I was training for the Shamrock Half Marathon last year. I'm trying to figure out how I'm really that unlucky HAHA!

But from all of this, I have discovered how much your mindset can change things. While I haven't been able to run like I needed to, I really think that I am mentally prepared for the marathon. And honestly, I think that is the hardest part of marathon training. The moment I registered for the marathon, my first thought was "Holy crap, I have to run 26.2 miles. Can I honestly do that???" And while it was super exciting to think that I was going to be able to officially call myself a "Marathoner", I was totally freaking out. And the self doubt set in immediately. It wasn't anything like when I signed up for my first half. This was totally different!!

I'm ready. I really wasn't sure if I was ever going to get that point mentally. I know that I had to cut my training short and that it's going to be really hard, but mentally, I'm ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment